Frequently Asked Questions

Storage & Safety

Where should I store my medication?

Medical cannabis should be kept out of reach of children, pets and other unauthorized persons. Make sure all medications are kept in manufacturer approved containers/vacuum-sealed packing in conditions recommended by your licensed producer. It is best to keep your medication in a locked cabinet to avoid accidental use. At no time should you share any of your medications with other people.
Cannabis Use

Where can I smoke and vape cannabis*?

  • Private residences – this does not include residences that are also workplaces (e.g. long-term care and/or retirement homes)
  • Many outdoor public places (e.g. sidewalks, parks)
  • Designated guest rooms in hotels, motels and inns
  • Residential vehicles and boats that meet certain criteria (e.g. have permanent sleeping accommodations and cooking facilities, and are parked or anchored)
  • Scientific research and testing facilities (if the cannabis use is for scientific research and testing purposes)
  • Controlled areas in:
    • Long-term care homes
    • Certain retirement homes
    • Residential hospices
    • Provincially-funded supportive housing
    • Designated psychiatric facilities or veterans’ facilities

*Additional restrictions on smoking and vaping may exist in municipal bylaws, lease agreements, and the policies of employers and property owners.

Where CAN’T I smoke and vape cannabis?


You cannot smoke or vape cannabis in:

  • Indoor common areas in condos, apartment buildings and university/college residences
  • Enclosed public places and enclosed work places
  • Non-designated guest rooms in hotels, motels and inns
Schools and places where children gather

You cannot smoke or vape cannabis in:

  • At school, on school grounds, and all public areas within 20m of these grounds
  • On children’s playgrounds and public areas within 20m of playgrounds
  • In child care centres, or where an early years program is provided
  • In places where home child care is provided — even if children aren’t present
Hospitals, hospices, care homes and other facilities

You cannot smoke or vape cannabis in:

  • Within 9m from the entrance or exit of hospitals (public/private), psychiatric facilities, long-term care homes, independent health facilities
  • On outdoor grounds of hospitals (public/private) and psychiatric facilities
  • In non-controlled areas in long-term care homes, certain retirement homes, provincially-funded supportive housing, designated psychiatric or veterans’ facilities, and residential hospices
Publicly owned spaces

You cannot smoke or vape cannabis in publicly-owned sport fields (not including golf courses), nearby spectator areas and public areas within 20m of these areas.

Vehicles and boats

You cannot consume cannabis (smoking, vaping, eating) in a vehicle or boat that is being driven or is at risk of being put into motion.

Other outdoor areas
  • In restaurants and on bar patios and public areas within 9m of a patio
  • On outdoor grounds of specified Ontario government office buildings
  • In reserved seating areas at outdoor sports and entertainment locations
  • On grounds of community recreational facilities, and public areas within 20m of those grounds
  • In sheltered outdoor areas with a roof and more than two walls which the public or employees frequent, or are invited to (e.g. a bus shelter)

For more information please visit:

Ontario Website

Cannabis Legalization

Click Here
Driving & Machinery

What are the laws regarding automobile/driving and other heavy machinery use?

Driving impaired by cannabis is illegal and dangerous. Cannabis, like many other drugs, slows your reaction time and increases your chances of being in a collision. Operating heavy machinery under the influence of cannabis is also strictly prohibited.

If a police officer finds that you are impaired by any drug, including medical cannabis, you will face serious penalties, such as:
  • An immediate licence suspension
  • Financial penalties
  • Possible vehicle impoundment
  • Possible criminal record
  • Possible jail time

Police officers have tests to determine if you are impaired and are now also authorized to use oral fluid screening devices at roadside to help enforce the law. As a patient using medical cannabis it is vital that you speak to your doctor about the recommended rules and regulations regarding driving while being prescribed medical cannabis. Current guidelines recommend not driving for at least 6 hours after inhaled cannabis use and at least 8 hours after oral ingestion. If you experience a “high” sensation or psychoactive effects of cannabis, you cannot drive for 24 hours.

For more information please visit:

Ontario Website

Cannabis Leagalization

Click Here

Government of Canada

Cannabis Impairment

Click Here

Am I allowed to travel with my medication?

Yes, it is legal for you to travel with your authorized medical cannabis medications within Canada ONLY, however NOT outside of it. When traveling within Canada it is your responsibility to make sure that you are only carrying the amount prescribed or limited to. All medications should be kept in their original manufacturer approved containers/vials/packages with clearly visible labels. Always carry your original or a copy of your authorized medical document issuing medical Cannabis use. When traveling by automobile you should always keep your medical cannabis medications safely in the trunk of your car.

If you plan to travel outside of Canada, do not bring your medical cannabis medications. It is your responsibility to stay updated and investigate any regulations regarding cannabis use and possession in any of the jurisdictions you intend on traveling to.

To date irrespective of some approved particular individual U.S. state laws, cannabis use and possession remain illegal under the U.S. Federal Government. It is best not to travel to the United States of America with any medical cannabis products of any kind.

If you intend on traveling to other countries where medical and or recreational cannabis may be legal, it is best to first investigate the legal requirements for that country and its jurisdiction. It is also your responsibility to investigate and be informed of particular airline policies.

For more information about alternative prescription cannabinoid medications and travel, please speak to your physician. It is solely the responsibility of the patient to determine other national and local regulations regarding medical cannabis use and possession.

For more information please visit:

Government of Canada

Cannabis and the border

Click Here

Government of Canada

Cannabis and international travel

Click Here
Health Effects

What are the potential adverse health effects of cannabis use?

Medical cannabis like other medications have potential health side effects. It is always best to speak to your physician about the risks of cannabis before considering its use.

For more information please visit:

Government of Canada

What you need to know about cannabis

Click Here

Government of Canada

Cannabis health effects

Click Here

Government of Canada

Health effects of cannabis

Click Here
Rules For the Workplace

Am I allowed to use medical cannabis while at work?

Ontario has strict rules in place to make sure workplaces are safe. Though consuming recreational cannabis in the workplace remains illegal after legalization on October 17, 2018, many employers are working with patients to accommodate and create policies for medical cannabis use. It is the responsibility of the patient to determine and investigate their employers policy/policies regarding medical cannabis use including drug testing at their place of employment. Patients seeking information regarding their employment policies should contact their respective employers, supervisors, workers and or human resource department.

Employers (and Supervisors):
  • Need to know the rules for medical cannabis
  • Are required to address workplace hazards, under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)
Employees and Workers:
  • Who are unable or unfit to work safely could be a hazard to themselves or to others in the workplace
  • Have a duty to perform work safely and to report any hazards to their supervisor or employer under the OHSA
Cannabis Possession

How much medical cannabis am I legally allowed to carry?

You may carry up to a maximum of one month’s supply per your medical document.

Can I legally obtain medical cannabis from a dispensary?

No. In accordance with Canadian law and Health Canada, the only way to obtain medical grade cannabis which differs from “recreational” cannabis can only occur after it has been prescribed by a healthcare provider such as a physician or nurse practitioner and through a Health Canada approved licensed producer.

Government of Canada

Licensed cultivators

Click Here

What is the ACMPR?

The ACMPR is the acronym for the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations; this is the current legislation that defines how legal medical cannabis can be obtained and accessed in Canada.

Do I need a referral?

A referral from your own family physician or other healthcare provider is required. Self-referrals may requested but will be evaluated on a case by case basis by our Atma care team. Referral forms may be downloaded from our website.

How do I make an appointment?

To make an appointment call 1-866-336-ATMA (2862)

Is there a charge to see a doctor?

No. All patient visits at Atma Medical Clinic are covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan).

Contact Us Today!

Take your first steps toward better health.